The75thAnnualLebanon Homecoming is scheduled for Sunday, September 6, at the LebanonSeniorCitiznsCommunity Center. The potluck will begin at 12:30 p.m.
Thehomecominghasbeen a big part of the community for decades. According to an article in The Madill Record on September 6, 1951, 'Old timers returned Sunday, September 2, 1951, to make Lebanon's first Homecoming an even bigger success than anticipated with over 300 in attendance. Old timers, some who hadn't been back for more than 50 years, were back Sunday for a visit with friends and relatives.'
'Getting the homecoming off to a start at 11:00 Sunday morning was a sermon preached by C. B. Mann of Oklahoma City. Mr. Mann was a preacher at Lebanon 41 years ago.'
'Marvin Shilling, Ardmore attorney, acted as master of ceremonies. W.J. Smith, Lebanon, was presented a prize for being the oldest man at the homecoming. Mr. Smith is 82 years old. Amother prize for the person getting his mail at Lebanon the longest went to Nealy Barentine, who had been getting his mail at the Lebanon post office for the past 64 years.'
'Mrs. J.A. Sparks received a prize for traveling the longest distance. She lives in Snelling, Calif. and hadn't been back to Lebanon in 40 years.'
'A picnic lunch was served followed by a quartet who presented several numbers. They were accompanied by Mrs. Mount Morgan at the organ. The organ, owned by Mrs. Addie Colson, was 60 years old.'
'Duringtheday,thegroup agreed upon a committee to take care of the Lebanon Cemetery. Over $400 was donated by those attending. Serving on the committee are J. L. Barentine, Cliff Orr, T.W. Sandefur and Lila Jean Morgan, secretary.'
The Lebanon school originally opened in 1908 to serve the local community which grew out of a rich history connected to the historic Burney Institute that operated nearby until 1910. After Lebanon school closed in 1972, the district ws consolidated into neighboring schools like Madill and Kingston.
The last class to graduate from the Lebanon school ws in May, 1972. The teachers at that time were first and second grades, Martha Ayres, third and fourth grades, Gladys Avery, fifth and sixth grades, Guy Eva Hallmark and seventh and eighth grades, Pete Bigger.
The southeast wall of the Lebanon Community Center was the southeast wall of the schoolhouse.
What started 75 years ago continues today with the Lebanon Cemetery Association who is dedicated to preserving the cemetery. The operating money comes entirely from donations and any amount is greatly appreciated.
Donationscanbemailedto Lebanon Cemetery Association, P.O. Box 202, Lebanon, OK 73440-0202.