After weeks of controversy and inconvenience for parkgoers, theOklahomaTourism and Recreation Department has announced that all state park restaurants shuttered due to a payment dispute will be reopened as of Tuesday, July 15. The sudden closure of restaurants at Lake Murray, Beavers Bend, Robbers Cave and Sequoyah State Parks earlier this summer sparked frustration among tourists and concern from local business owners.
The shutdown was the result of a prolonged conflict betweenthestateandprivate food vendors over overdue payments, contract disputes and allegations of financial mismanagement. Tourism Director Shelley Zumwalt said closing the locations was the only course of action at the time.
“We made the difficult decision to suspend operations after multiple attempts to resolve billing discrepancies with the vendors,” said Zumwalt. “We have a responsibility to both taxpayers and park visitors to ensure transparency and fairness in our agreements.” Vendors pushed back, claiming the state failed to pay them for months despite their efforts to meet contractual obligations. Oneoperator, speaking anonymously due to ongoing legal discussions, said, “Some of us are owed tens of thousands of dollars. We just want what we earned.”
The restaurant closures left summer travelers scrambling to find food options while camping or visiting the parks. Local businesses also felt the economic strain.
“They come here expecting a full experience, swimming, fishing, and grabbing a burger afterward,” said Tom Richards,whorunsabaitand tackle shop near Lake Murray. “Now folks are packing up and leaving early because there’s nowhere to eat. That hurts all of us.”
The disruption drew political attention as well. StateRepresentativeMonroe Nichols (D-Tulsa) called for a legislative inquiry into the Tourism Department’s handling of vendor contracts, noting a pattern of strained relationships under current leadership. The controversy echoed a 2022 scandal involving Swadley’s Foggy Bottom Kitchen, which ended in contract termination and a state investigation.
With the reopening now underway, the Tourism Department said it has finalized new short-term agreements with interim food vendors while working to establish longer-term solutions. The department did not release details about the new partnerships but assured the public that food service will be restored across all affected parks.
“Hospitality is part of the Oklahoma experience,” said Rep. Nichols in a follow-up statement. “Reopening these restaurants is the right step, but we still need answers and accountability. Our parks, and the communities around them, deserve better.”
For now, the grills are hot once again, and visitors can look forward to enjoying a full park experience. However, the fallout from the dispute mayhavealonger-lastingimpact, as both lawmakers and vendors continue to demand transparency and reform from the agency tasked with showcasing the best of Oklahoma. Visitors are advised to check with individual state park websites or call ahead to confirm hours of operation and menu options at each restaurant location.